Submit Master's thesis to DUO
Submit your Master's thesis to the University of Oslo's open research archive (DUO)
Have the following ready in advance:
- Make sure you know your UiO username and password. Have you forgotten? Get your username or set new password. Problems? Contact IT support for students.
- The title of your thesis
- Summary, if you would like to make it available to the public in the DUO open research archive.
- The thesis in a PDF-format. How to make a PDF from a document. Any attachments need not be converted to PDF.
- The original file(s) may be provided if you wish, but this is not obligatory. If they are to be provided, have them ready. By original files we mean the document files the thesis was written in before it was converted to PDF, eg. a Word file.
- Make sure you know where on your computer you have saved the files you are going to submit.
- Start your submission in good time before the deadline. It may take some time to enter the summary and upload the file(s).
- Group thesis? Students who have collaborated on a thesis must individually submit the thesis in StudentWeb.
You may change and submit your thesis again - until the deadline for submission.
NB! Deliver a printed version of the thesis to your institute before the deadline.
How to submit in StudentWeb
You cannot submit if you log in with your Norwegian ID number and PIN code.
- Choose Submit Master's thesis to DUO in the menu under Registrations.
The menu option will only be visible if, for the current semester, you
- have registered as a student
- have paid the semester fee
- are registered for an exam in the Master's thesis course.
On the submission start page you will find the subject in which you are taking the Master's thesis. Click on the button 'Start submission'.
Register personal information
The page with personal information shows what is registered about you and the thesis in the UiO administrative system.
- Please check your contact address, mobile phone number and email address. You will receive a receipt of submission to this email address.
- Select destination in the DUO open research archive. This ensures the thesis is placed correctly in the DUO open research archive.
Register information about the thesis
- Enter the language the thesis is written in.
- Enter the title of the thesis. The title will appear on transcripts, the diploma and in the DUO open research archive.
- Enter the summary if you would like it to be published in the DUO open research archive.
- You should enter the English title of the thesis so that it appears on the transcripts in English.
- Enter keywords which describe your thesis. Separate the keywords with a comma, e.g. inflation, economic crises. Keywords are searchable in the DUO open research archive and the Internet, and will make it easier for those interested to find your thesis.
Upload your Master's thesis file. It must be a PDF file.
- Click Browse and navigate your way to where you saved the file.
- When you have found the right file, click 'Upload chosen file'.
- You may also upload attachments that belong to the thesis and the original files (Word, LaTex, Open Office etc.).
- If you upload the wrong file, you can delete it by clicking on the button 'Delete File'.
If you make the Master's thesis accessible in the DUO open research archive, the thesis will be searchable and accessible on the Internet. If you choose not to make the Master's thesis accessible, only the author, thesis title and any summaries will be searchable, and not the Master's thesis itself.
- Choose whether your thesis and any attachments will be accessible in the DUO open research archive.
- Indicate whether the thesis should be restricted due to confidentiality.
- Original files are automatically set to not-accessible in the DUO open research archive.
- Failed theses are not accessible in the DUO open research archive.
- Tick if you understand the University of Oslo’s rules regarding citations and references to sources.
- Check the information before submitting.
- Use the Previous button at the bottom of the page and scroll back to change.
- When everything is correct, click on the button 'Confirm Submission'. The thesis and the information you have registered is then send to the DUO open research archive.
- You can change the information and send new files until the deadline for submission.
- You will receive an email receipt.
Log out of StudentWeb.