Encyclopedias & Lexicons
- The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Linguistics
- Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Linguistics
- International Encyclopedia of Linguistics
- Glottopedia "is a freely editable encyclopedia for linguists by linguists that is currently being built up"
- Lexicon of Linguistics, University of Utrecht
- GOLD - an ontology for descriptive linguistics
Handbooks, Textbooks & Studies
- Language Science Press
- Oxford Handbooks in Linguistics
- Cambridge Handbooks in Language & Linguistics
- Cambridge Textbooks in Linguistics
- Cambridge Studies in Linguistics
- Handbook of Comparative and Historical Indo-European Linguistics
Languages of the World
- Glottolog - "Comprehensive reference information for the world's languages, especially the lesser known languages."
- Ethnologue - "A comprehensive reference work cataloging all of the world’s known living languages."
- ISO 639-3: "a set of codes that defines three-letter identifiers for all known human languages".
- Scriptsource - "collaborative reference to the writing systems of the world"
- Multitree "MultiTree is a searchable database of hypotheses on language relationships."
- LL-MAP - "a digital mapping project that integrates language data and information from the physical and social sciences.
- Language Landscape - kart med lenker til opptak av verdens språk
- Endangered Languages - "A worldwide collaboration to strengthen endangered languages"
- The language archive (Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen)
- Endangered Language Archive of the Endangered languages Documentation Programme
- PARADISEC (Pacific And Regional Archive for DIgital Sources in Endangered Cultures): "curates digital material about small or endangered languages"
- UNESCO Atlas of the World's Languages in Danger
Databases and Corpora
- WALS Online - "The World Atlas of Language Structures (WALS) is a large database of structural (phonological, grammatical, lexical) properties of languages gathered from descriptive materials (such as reference grammars) by a team of 55 authors."
- PHOIBLE Online - "A repository of cross-linguistic phonological inventory data"
- Surrey Morphology Group's databases
- The Universals Archive
- The World Loanword Database (WOLD)
- The Atlas of Pidgin and Creole Language Structures (APiCS)
- AfBo: A world-wide survey of affix borrowing
- The Intercontinental Dictionary Series
- CLICS (Database of Cross-Linguistic Colexifications)
- The database of the Automated Similarity Judgment Program (ASJP) "aims to contain 40-item word lists of all the world's languages"
- Tsammalex "a multilingual lexical database on plants and animals including linguistic, anthropological and biological information as well as images"
- OLAC - Open Language Archives - "international partnership of institutions and individuals who are creating a worldwide virtual library of language resources."
- Rosetta Project - "The Rosetta Project is a global collaboration of language specialists and native speakers working to build a publicly accessible digital library of human languages."
- ODIN - The Online Database of Interlinear Text
- Tekstlaboratoriet - provides access to many different corpora and tools.
- CLARINO Bergen Centre - "A repository to search and deposit language data."
- Interactive IPA chart (International Phonetic Association))
- Praat - open source software to analize and manipulate phonetic data.
- Online Linguistic Database - "a software for linguistic fieldwork"
- Linguistic Data Consortium's tools - tools for linguistic annotation.
- e-linguistics - cyberinfrastructure for linguistics.
- Best Practices in Digital Language Documentation
- Linguistic bibliography online (BL online)
- Bibliographie linguistischer Literatur (BLL)
- LingBuzz "is an openly accessible repository of scholarly papers, discussions and other documents for linguistics"
- Linguistics and Language Behavior Abstracts (LLBA)
- MLA international bibliography
E-mail lists & Blogs
- The Linguist List - "a forum where academic linguists can discuss linguistic issues and exchange linguistic information."
- email@example.com: the e-mail list for linguists and language enthusiasts at UiO. Subscribe to keep yourself updated on linguistics events at UiO.
- Other e-mail lists
- Diversity Linguistics Comment - "provides a forum for discussion for descriptive linguists, language typologists and historical-comparative linguists."
- Philosophy of Linguistics - en blogg "On the Nature of the Science of Language"
- Language on the move - "peer-reviewed sociolinguistics research site devoted to multilingualism, language learning and intercultural communication in the contexts of globalization and migration [...] consists primarily of doctoral candidates in sociolinguists based at Macquarie University and is complemented by contributors from around the world."
General Literature Search
UB and Norwegian Universities
- Oria - the Norwegian University Libraries' catalogue: books, journals and article search.
Subject search in Oria
- HKI - Foreign literature published before 1966 which is not (yet) registered in Oria.
General Databases for the Humanities
- ProQuest - Language and Literature - Indexed database of research publications within the Humanities. Contains 320 journals, magazines and newspapers published in the UK and in the USA. Covers publication from 1962 onward
- Humanities Abstracts (Ebsco) Indexed database of articles form more than 570 journals. Indexing from 1984, article abstracts from 1994.
- Arts and Humanities Citation Index (Web of Science) - Interdisciplinary international database. Allows subject search for articles and citation search for books and articles. Journals ranged by so called "impact factor" (how often a journal is cited within a given period).
- Science Direct (Elsevier) - database of journals and e-books from Elsevier (NB: more than 10 000 matches return an error message).
- ERIC (OVID) - the world's largest index to journal articles and research reports in education, includes citation and abstract information from over 750 educational journals and related documents.
or send your proposal directly to the subject librarian: firstname.lastname@example.org
Access library resources when you are not on campus.