The Output Style determines how citations and bibliographies will appear in a Word document. EndNote offers more than 6,000 Output Styles that can be downloaded from EndNote.com. You can also edit styles yourself.
Go to EndNote.com and search for a style name and/or citation style and/or publisher.
- Download the style you want to install.
- Double-click the style file. It should open in EndNote.
- In EndNote, from the top menu: File > Save As. Replace the word “copy” with your style’s name and click Save.
- From the top menu: File > Close Style
If no style meets your needs, you can edit an existing style. Select the style you want to edit, when saving, rename it.
In EndNote, form the top menu: Edit> Output Style> Edit 'the style you want to change'.
EndNote 20: In EndNote, form the top menu: Tools> Output Style> Edit 'the style you want to change'.
Page numbers may have different formats depending on where the reference comes from. This setting overrides this so everyone is the same. Example format: 123-5, 123-125.
In text citations.
Templates - Layout for text entry. Use Insert Field to add fields. Use the menu on top to change the look.
Author Lists - Specifies how many authors are displayed.
Author Name - Specifies how author names are displayed, e.g. Smith, J.
Templates - Layout for entry in the bibliography list. Use Insert Field to add fields. Use the menu on top to change the look.
Field Substitutions - Used to replace empty fields, e.g. If the Volume and Pages fields are empty, use: |; DOI
Layout - The design of the bibliography. Use Insert Field to add fields, e.g. Tab (indicates distance between number and reference).
Author/Editor Lists - Specifies the number of authors or editors displayed.
Author/Editor Name - Specifies how author or editor names are displayed, e.g. Smith, KN.
Title Capitalization - Specifies how the title is capitalized.
- Bibliography > Templates > Journal Article
- To get DOI as text: `doi:`
- Insert Field > DOI
- Citations > Templates > Citation
- Highlight Bibliography Number and select Superscript (A1)
- Remove brackets
In the text:
- Citations > Author Lists
- Write the number of authors to list before et al. (you can distinguish between the first time the reference is used and later use).
I the bibliography:
- Bibliography > Author Lists
- Write the number of authors to list before et al.