Search smarter with a subject search
Refine your search by using pre-defined subjects (topics). These subjects help you to find all the materials for that particular subject within the library holdings.
Subject searches in your discipline
The different library departments use different lists of subject headings.
- Legal literature (Norwegian only)
- Humanities and social sciences
- Mathematics and the natural sciences
- Human-rights literature
Dewey subject index
Subject search descriptions
- Realfagstermer: a controlled, pre-coordinated subject vocabulary which mainly covers the physical sciences, mathematics and computer science
- Humord: a Norwegian thesaurus for the humanities and social sciences subject areas.
Using subject searches
When you have performed a search, you will see a list of subjects (topics) in the left-hand column. This list contains subject headings from different subject headings systems, including keywords.
Click "Show more" to see all the subjects related to the results. When you click on a subject, the results are narrowed down to the materials related to that particular subject heading.
With the "Advanced Search" option, you can use a subject heading from a particular register, like the ones listed at the top of this page.
Important! Using subject headings produces good results for materials found in the local libraries. Full-text materials (articles, e-books and e-journals), however, might be excluded from you search if they do not use subject headings.